Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Trip to Mackinac Island





I don't know of anyone who really enjoys a good butt rub but I guess it goes well on meat.  This sign was in a window I saw on a recent vacation to Michigan and Macinac Island. Besides all the butt rubbing there were a lot of fun things to see and do!

If you've never been to the island, you have to cross a bridge (above) and ferry across. We've been coming here as a kid and I STILL imagine myself as a mermaid swimming across, competing with the ferries like dolphins do with ships.

This is my private boat I keep up here... I wish!


 I love imagining all the characters that could live in houses like these..




What a spectacular view!

The fort. It's like boy scout central here and they see to it the flags are properly raised and lowered. Well done, lads.


There are no cars on the island which is why I love it so much (that and the FUDGE). So you can literally breath in the fresh air and get great exercise. The only down side is...


{insert picture of smelly horse manure splattered across the road}
Yeah. Watch out for that!




So we set off on our bikes to explore!


I LOVE LOVE the greenery








The Grand Hotel. If you've seen Somewhere in Time, this is where they filmed it. It costs $10 per person just to walk into the place and look around! So we love picnicking on the grounds and playing croquet and bocce ball. I always feel like Edith Wharton here vacationing at a hotel where your baggage is brought up by horses and wagons.

This fountain was pretty, a little ways off on the grounds. Hmm I feel a spontaneous poem coming on..

An ode to a Beautiful Font:
You're pretty and bubbly
Though not very cuddly
I'd love to dive into your waters
"No swimming" you say
Uh, I didn't want to anyway!
This poem is quite simply, fodder



We stopped by a little art gallery filled with beautiful art. But the asking price for 6 x 6 oils started at $350-$500 for the plainer ones. Does that seem a little hefty to anyone else?

Phew! The tour stops here for the day, I hope you've enjoyed the journey. There'll be more tomorrow if you're so inclined to stop in again! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well done, love the shots on nature.

short story slam said...

welcome writing for short story slam week 6 today.

bless you.