Monday, July 25, 2011

Sunday Scribblings # 277 Distant

When I think of distant, I think of distant hearts. Cousins of the lonely hearts, they have someone to call their own but their hearts just aren't in it. Day and night they yearn for more while their "beloved" sleeps beside them. On the phone they lie to their girlfriend or boyfriend keeping the stolen kiss that should never of happened buried deep inside them. Distant hearts, oh wicked hearts, why can't you be happy with what you've got? Then sun is shining, the earth is green and all the world is singing with the happy hearts who've found their mates. Black hearts, you foolish hearts why don't you try a little harder and forget yourselves in favor of another. Another heart that beats to the tune of loneliness as it's kept shut out from yours. "It's not good enough, not strong enough, it never gives me what I need." So caught up in your own wants, your selfish needs that you forget your heart isn't the only heart trying to feel love. Cast off your selfish disdain your brawling love oh loving hate and open your distant heart. Bring it back from the island of misunderstood and forge the bridge to inside it. I bet you'll see once it's been done that life is so much more worth living, than the distant hearts that cry for more and bury deep inside them.

7 comments:

Mike Patrick said...

I have to thank you twice: once for your posting, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and once for the Robert E Sherwood quote under your picture. Maybe I do have what it takes to be a writer.

erer said...

That's a darling write up! Felt so close somehow. I'd like to stay connected so I'm following you :)

The Poet said...

WoW! That's some write.
Great take on "distant" and like Mike, I love the quote by Robert Sherwood...I think I might be in there somewhere (lol).

Thanks for sharing.

LeiffyV said...

Now this is pure poetry. You should craft a nice poem from this! As far as black hearts go, I'm the king of black hearts in my mind. Nothing wrong with black hearts...

Evil? No.

Smoothie? *cackling*

Thanks for visiting Jenna, glad you took the time to read my humble offering!

KG said...

So intriguing! The idea is inviting and has this incredible depth that causes me to wonder, too, just what it takes to get over a "distant" heart. I mean, there's a lot of formulas out there to get over broken ones, or lonely ones, but getting over distant hearts is another matter entirely. Perhaps harder? Because it has to come from within you. I like how you said to "bring it back from the island of misunderstood"... gives me a sense of the isolation and self-banishment a distant heart demands. Just curious... what prompted these musings? And when are you getting them published? :)

jellybelly said...

What a charming place! I've read about this in a teen novel years and years ago. I didn't think it was real. I've been to Catalina Island but it's become too touristy. I love the row of parked bikes :)

The Twerp and I

Anonymous said...

Oh I enjoyed this! Love the pleading intertwined with the sweetness...a lovely poem!